October 23 – 24, 2021
Carmel to Cambria
Out-and-back Weekend Ride.
VeloCambria joins in on the
26th Annual Big Sur-Cambria Ride.
Though not the same route we’d be taking on the Silver Anniversary of this ride, we’re gearing up with other committed riders and keeping the tradition going by welcoming riders to Cambria with food, beverage and cycle support after the long haul down Central California’s infamous Highway 1.
With Nacimiento Road closed to vehicles due to landslides following last year’s fires, this year the meet point is at the same Park-and-Ride in Carmel and do a two-day ride to Cambria and back to Carmel, with a hotel overnight stay in Cambria. The distance from Carmel to Cambria is about 99 miles with 8,200’ gain.
While there will be a wide range of paces, this is a ride for experienced cyclists who have the ability and desire to do the entire distance. This is not a public ride, let’s keep this bike friends and family, which has always attracted kind people. Our thanks to Menlo Bike Club, who partners with us on event logistics.
Ride from Big Sur to Cambria and back.
October 23 – 24, 2021.
Saturday, October 23rd, 2021
“Carmel to Cambria”
- 7:00 AM
- Carmel Park-and-Ride (at Safeway)
The Crossroads Carmel, 5 Crossroads Blvd, Carmel-By-The-Sea to Cambria.
- Distance: 97.9 miles
- GPS Route from Carmel to Cambria
- Registration: Download PDF above.
- Connect with other riders via VeloCambria social networks:
VeloCambria Finish Line Happy Hour
- Start: 3:00 PM
- Location: VeloCambria, 4056 Burton Dr. Cambria
- “Finish to Sundownish”
Sunday, October 24th, 2021
“Cambria to Carmel”
- Start: 7 AM
- Pre-Ride Host: VeloCambria opens at 6:00 AM with complimentary coffee, pastries, and last minute bike services on our sidewalk service rack.
- Route: VeloCambria bike shop, Cambria to Carmel Park-and-Ride
- Distance: 97.8 miles
What to Expect
- Transportation for your overnight backpack. Make sure your bag gets tagged with your hotel location so we can drop it off. We will have tags available at the Carmel Park and Ride on Saturday morning. You can put your bag in the same-hotel pile.
- There will be NO bicycle sag services, road support or cookie stops this year (I’m sad too)
- There are services at Big Sur (m 25), Gorda (m 64), Ragged Point (m 75). Lucia (m 50) is currently closed.
- You must reserve your own hotel, see below for suggestions in Cambria
- You’ll find your own dinner and breakfast in Cambria.
You’re invited to the Saturday post-ride Happy Hour at Cambria’s premier bike shop, VeloCambria, 4056 Burton Drive, Cambria. Stop by when you arrive in town. If you need any bike supplies or any mechanical attention, VeloCambria is available to help.
Considering and Committing to the Big Sur Ride: A Two Step Process
- Indicate your interest in the ride here by October 15
This Rider Interest List gives you visibility to others, allows you to arrange hotel and ride shares and indicates that you want the final ride email.
- Commit to the ride here by October 20
This site has the ride waiver and the payment of $35 for the luggage transport, insurance and post-ride snacks.
On October 15 you will receive an email reminding you to commit to the ride and sharing any other ride information.
Hotel Booking and Restaurants
- Make your own hotel reservations for the evening of October 23 in Cambria (m 98) or San Simeon (m 95)
- In Cambria there are hotels on the ocean side and some in town. Being closer to town gives you more restaurants for meals. Some hotels require a 2 night minimum, but they may be more flexible as the date gets closer, so check back with them. The Cambria prices are definitely more than Keefers in King City. More affordable and more available options are in San Simeon, north of Cambria, where The Morgan has offered a BSR discount (see below)
- You can check the rider list for room shares and where people are staying. We will drop off luggage at your hotel lobby Saturday afternoon and pick it up from the hotel lobby on Sunday morning.
- Cambria Hotels:
- Bluebird Inn, bluebirdinncambria.com, (805)-927-4634
- Cambria Pines, cambriapineslodge.com, (805)-927-4200
- Creekside Inn, creeksidecambria.com, (805) 927-4021
- Cambria Palms, cambriapalms.com, (805) 927-4485
- Cambria Restaurants Owned by Cyclists
- Linn’s Restaurant, 2277 Main St, Cambria, 805-927-0371, dine in or take out, American style farm fresh, famous Olallieberry pies, website
- Madeline’s Restaurant 788 Main St, dine in or take out, (805) 927-4175, French inspired with wine shop, website, reservations recommended.
- San Simeon Hotel:
- The Morgan, hotel-morgan.com, 800-451-9900, Doubles $150, Delux Dbls $160. Mention the “Big Sur Ride” for this discounted price.
- There are restaurants nearby if you decide not to come into Cambria.
- If you decide to come into Cambria, there is a 6:05 PM bus from Hearst @ San Simeon to Burton & Main @ Cambria. There is an 8:34 PM schedule to return you. Here is the southbound & northbound schedule. Ride-share services may work.
- We suggest that you bring your own breakfast food with you to make it easier to depart on Sunday morning.
Happy Hour at VeloCambria
VeloCambria owner, Richard Wingard, has offered to host Big Sur Riders for drinks and snacks at the bike shop from 3 pm until sundown (4056 Burton Drive, Cambria,805-395-7055). Stop by when you arrive in town. If you need any bike supplies or any mechanical attention, Velo Cambria is available to help you at the shop. Thank you to Rick Denman for putting us in touch.
Meeting Time and Place, Saturday October 23
- Meet for the ride between 7:00 – 7:30 AM on Saturday at the Park and Ride in the Safeway at The Crossroads Carmel, 5 Crossroads Blvd, Carmel-By-The-Sea.
- The Park and Ride is on the side of the parking lot nearest Hwy 1.
- There is a nearby Starbucks coffee and restrooms.
- Check in, tag your luggage with your hotel, find your friends and start riding whenever you are ready.
Meeting Time and Place, Sunday, October 24
- 7-7:30 AM at Velo Cambria, 4056 Burton, Cambria. If you come on the early side, there will be coffee, compliments of Velo Cambria.
- We suggest you have breakfast and coffee at your hotel first or make an early bakery stop.
- Pack up your luggage and bring it to the lobby with your Big Sur Ride luggage tag.
- If you are staying in San Simeon and don’t want to pedal south to meet us, look for the group to be coming through about 8a. We’ll see you on the road.
What to Bring
- 2 large water bottles. Riding food for both days
- Front and rear lights for fog and safety
- ID and health insurance information
- Small backpack with overnight stuff and some warm in-town and cycling gear
- Breakfast food
Kim Freitas, email@example.com, 650-906-8595
Look for an email from Kim on October 15 with final ride information.
Check the “Rider Interest List” for friends and hotel/ride shares.
Cambria ‘local’ contact for questions: Rick Denman, 310-995-2084, firstname.lastname@example.org
VeloCambria Bike Shop is here to help too.